I'm John Parks
I'm a Software Engineer
I've also been called:
- Director of Engineering
- Full-stack Developer
- Development Manager
- DevOps Engineer
- Server Engineer
John Parks - Resume 2022
firstname.lastname@example.org • 619-306-1135 • johnmparks.com
- Software Design/Development
- Cloud Development (Serverless/function-based, SaaS)
- Web Application Development/Design
- Node.js (Express, threading/IPC, build systems)
- Golang (gin, beego, Pion)
- Python (Flask, Pandas, TensorFlow)
- PHP7 (Laravel, Symfony, Composer, WordPress, Magento)
- Database (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Redis, document-based)
- Browser Extensions, Office Add-ons (Parasitic UIX Overrides, Competitor Pricing Aggregates, "Affiliatization")
- Development Tooling (Git/SVN, GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, Vagrant
- Scraping/Web Automation (Google Puppeteer, Browserless HTTP, Webdriver)
- eCommerce (Stripe.js, PayPal, UPS, FedEx, USPS, Affiliate Networks, Subscriptions)
- PCI DSS Compliance, OWASP
- Authentication (OAUTH2 w/Custom Grants, Social-sign on, Multi-tenancy)
- Advertising (CAPI, Facebook, Google Ads, Tiktok, S2S, deep-funnel conversion)
- Video (RTSP/RTMP over WebSocket, WebRTC, low-latency video solutions targeting browser)
- Linux/Unix (Primarily Debian and Ubuntu)
- AWS (Certified Solutions Architect - Associate #255285 expired)
- GCP (Firebase/Firestore, Functions, App Engine, Logging, Monitoring, App Analytics)
- Database Administration (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Redis)
- Docker ("docker compose" development environments, Kubernetes)
- VMWare ESX/Workstation
- ELK (Elastic Search, Logstash, Kibana)
- Grafana, Datadog, Graphite/StatsD
- Google Analytics/Tag Manager
- Adobe Photoshop (Web Asset Creation, Interface Design/Mock-ups, Photo Rework/Restoration)
- Adobe Illustrator (Web Asset Creation, Logo Design, Branding)
- Adobe Lightroom (Photo Catalog Management, Live Shoot, Photo Rework/Restoration)
- Adobe InDesign (Page Layout/Design, Product Catalogs)
Engineer (San Diego, California; March 2022 - August 2022)
Alsoa is cloud software that helps track deep-funnel conversion events in a "cookieless" world.
- Addressed web tracking in an increasingly privacy-centric/"cookieless" world through server-to-server (S2S) conversion API middleware.
- Built serverless E2E deep-funnel conversion tracking middleware in GCP (Google Cloud Platform) in Node.js, and Python.
- Oversaw development of 3rd party integrations with platforms such-as Google Ads, Facebook, Magento, and Hubspot.
Contractor, Software Engineer, Director of Engineering (Roseville, Minnesota - remote; May 2020 - June 2021)
YourSix is a cloud security and surveillance company.
- Led + scaled team of developers and engineers to build cloud-based PSaaS (physical security as a service) web application.
- Prototyped an ONVIF-complaint VMS with (video management system) with RTSP/RTMP/H.264 + MJPEG over WebSocket video transport, low-latency PTZ (pan-tilt-zoom) controls, and PTT (push to talk) capabilities using modern/experimental browser APIs such-as WebSockets, MediaSource, the and the Web Audio API.
- Worked with project stakeholders to design a fully functional SPA UIX in Svelte for delivery to front-end team for implementation.
InternetIn / ServiceAbility.app
Cofounder, Engineer (San Diego, California; June 2019 - January 2021)
InternetIn/ServiceAbility.app was a suite of internet serviceability/QoS research tools.
- Built full fiber mapping, lit building, and POP (point of presence) tool using Mapbox, PostgreSQL, Node.js, and Golang. Data was ingested from public FCC data, private fiber maps, lit building lists, and proprietary data sources.
- Built ISP quality-per-geographic region QOS (quality of service) tool using multiple datasets including M-Lab NDT data from BigQuery and FCC broadband quality initiatives.
- Built document/web workflow engine to aide in complex B2B and B2C workflows with custom fillable PDF generation, Docusign integration, and email capability.
- Built automation engine capable of running serviceability checks in parallel (5-10+), submitting the results to a "single-pane-of-glass" UI.
- Reverse-engineered complex Comcast business pricing models and built realtime pricing API with regression and fuzz testing.
Rakuten - Ebates Inc.
Senior Software Engineer (San Diego, California; 2015 to 2019)
Ebates, acquired by Rakuten in 2014, is an online cash-back rewards solution that shares affiliate commission from eCommerce sales back with it's users.
- Technical lead for initial PCI DSS compliance audit, remediation, and certification; developed high-availability/multi-tenant authentication server based on OAUTH2 which handles every Ebates (and Ebates subsidiary) user/device authorization.
- Developed "Constitution Jobserver" in Node.js which handles headless Chrome instances performing automated product scraping, and eCommerce checkout automation on behalf of our users to maximize the affiliate commission per-sale.
- Utilized enterprise BI tooling such as Datadog, Loggly, Graphite, and StatsD to provide critical systems/business insight through custom data feeds/dashboards and intelligent alerting.
- Worked with DevOps and engineering resources to consolidate our services/applications from internal datacenters and disparate server colos onto AWS (EC2, SQS, S3, etc.).
Web Development & Software Consulting (San Diego, California; 2012-present)
Over the years I've worked independently as a consultant for a large range of clients in all sorts of industries. Typically customers will engage to design and build greenfield solutions:
- Software - typically web-based with the browser as a presentation layer
- eCommerce - design/build custom eCommerce experiences from concept to payment processor integration
- CRM integrations - build/optimize CRM solutions and integrate them with other existing tech
Software Developer (Iowa City, Iowa; 2012)
Leepfrog builds and supports course catalog, scheduling, and curriculum management solutions for over 200 higher-education institutions worldwide.
- Helped improve and automate course import solutions from Oracle PeopleSoft and Banner student information systems to streamline initial project development and client on-boarding.
Technology Manager, Web Developer, Photographer (Marion, Iowa; 2011-2012)
Premier Guitar is a print and online magazine for guitar enthusiasts.
- Helped manage web and technology solutions for an industry-leading online and print publication.
- Developed an independent WordPress solution for high-traffic link aggregate site migrating all user/content information from proprietary Joomla solution.
- Photography work published numerous times in both online and print publication.
Development Manager, Senior Developer, Director IT & Server Administration (Hiawatha, Iowa; 2007-2011)
Metro Studios is a creative services agency that specializes in multimedia web marketing.
- Developed custom web application, e-commerce, and website solutions for over 40 projects.
- Played a key role in scaling the company web department from three members (one marketing expert, one designer, and myself as the first developer) to 10 (account managers, project managers, developers, marketing experts, designers, etc.).
- Managed small team of application developers through implementing code reviews, Git version control, and strict specification/documentation guidelines.
- Deployed and managed seven (four physical, three VPS) LAMP stack web servers hosting over 100 client websites and applications.
Server Engineer (Cedar Rapids, Iowa; 2006-2007)
Yellowbook USA (now Hibu) is a print and online directory lookup service.
- Built and maintained multiple server, application, and automation solutions on both Linux and Microsoft platforms at Yellowbook's Cedar Rapids datacenter.
- Worked with operations and network engineering departments to improve monitoring solutions utilizing open source technologies such as MRTG.
- Deployed and verified security patches and updates to hundreds of servers on all platforms using customized PatchLink enterprise deployment solution.
Coe College Cedar Rapids, Iowa; 2005-2008
- Studied computer science, art, and writing
- Developed custom content management solution and LAMP stack which ran Coe.edu for 10+ years.