Skills & Technologies »
- Python - Flask, Django, Pandas, NumPy, Matplotlib, Pytest
- PHP - Composer, Laravel, Symfony, WordPress, Magento
- Database - MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, Redis, document-based/No-SQL, ORM, Administration, Redundancy & Availability
- Development Tooling - Git/SVN, GitHub, GitLab, BitBucket, Jira
- Linux/Unix - Ubuntu, Debian, RHEL, CentOS, VMWare ESX
- DevOps & System Administration - Docker, CI/CD, Nginx, Apache2, HAProxy, Varnish, Memcached
- Monitoring, Logging, & Insight - Grafana, Elastic Search, Logstash, Kibana, Graphite/StatsD, InfluxDB
- AWS - Certified Solutions Architect #255285, EC2, S3, Lambda, RDS, VPC, IAM, CloudWatch, DynamoDB, SNS, SQS
- GCP - Firebase/Firestore, Functions, App Engine, Logging, Monitoring, App Analytics
- Payments & eCommerce - PCI DSS Compliance, Stripe.js, PayPal, Subscriptions, Shipping, Taxes, Affiliate Networks
- Authentication - OAUTH, Multi-tenancy, Auth0
- Analytics & Advertising - Google Analytics, Tag Manager, CAPI, Facebook, Tiktok, S2S, deep-funnel conversion, CRM
- Graphics - Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Lightroom, Adobe InDesign, Figma
- Web Automation & Scraping - Bot detection/bypassing bot detection, Browserless HTTP, Fingerprinting
- Video - ffmpeg, GStreamer, WebRTC, RTSP/RTMP over WebSocket (ONVIF)
Independent Consultant - Contracting Engineer
San Diego, California; 2012-present
I serve a diverse clientele across various industries in Southern California and Eastern Iowa as an independent consultant.
- Software Development - Fullstack solutions focused on web technologies with browser-based presentation layers.
- Payments & eCommerce - Custom eCommerce experiences, from conceptualization to payment processor integration.
- Team & Management Solutions - Provide comprehensive solutions for team collaboration and operational management.
- CRM Integrations - Develop and optimize CRM solutions, seamlessly integrating them with existing technology stacks.
Alsoa - Contracting Engineer
San Diego, California; March 2022 - August 2022
Alsoa is a cloud-based service that helps businesses understand customer behavior online without using tracking cookies.
- Developed a way to track online user behavior without relying on cookies, using server-to-server technology.
- Created platform in GCP that records detailed customer actions from start to finish, using TypeScript and Python.
- Managed the addition of features that connect to external platforms like Google Ads, Facebook, and HubSpot.
- Built PHP Magento module for server-to-server conversion tracking to integrate with Alsoa tracking platform APIs.
YourSix - Software Engineer, Director of Engineering
Roseville, Minnesota - remote; May 2020 - June 2021
YourSix is a company specializing in cloud-based security and surveillance solutions.
- Led and expanded a team of local and international developers to create software focused on physical security services.
- Built an ONVIF-compliant prototype VMS (video management system) capable of various video formats and real-time controls, using advanced web technologies for streaming and audio.
- Collaborated with key project members to design and build a user-friendly SPA (single-page application) using Svelte.
InternetIn / ServiceAbility.app - Software Engineer
San Diego, California; June 2019 - January 2021
InternetIn/ServiceAbility.app offered a collection of tools for researching internet quality and availability.
- Created a comprehensive map to show fiber internet availability using various technologies and multiple data sources, including public and proprietary.
- Developed a tool that measures internet quality by location, using data from multiple reputable sources.
- Created a workflow system to streamline complex business and consumer processes, including generating fillable PDFs and integrating with e-signature services.
- Designed an automation tool that simultaneously tests internet serviceability in multiple locations and compiles the results into a unified dashboard.
- Analyzed and recreated Comcast's intricate business pricing structure, creating a real-time pricing tool and API.
Ebates Inc. / Rakuten - Senior Software Engineer, DevOps Engineer
San Diego, California; 2015 to 2019
Rakuten is a digital platform that gives users cash-back rewards by sharing the commission from affiliate networks.
- Led the technical aspects of the first PCI DSS compliance audit for payment security standards, creating a robust authentication server used across all of Rakuten's platforms.
- Built a Node.js jobserver that automates product searches and online checkouts to increase the cash-back rewards.
- Collaborated with DevOps and software engineers to migrate our varied services and applications to Amazon Web Services for better scalability and efficiency.
- Employed business intelligence tools to offer valuable insights into system performance and business metrics, using custom data visualizations and smart alerts.
Leepfrog Technologies - Software Developer
Iowa City, Iowa; 2012
Leepfrog offers course catalog, scheduling, and curriculum software to educational institutions across the globe.
- Created digital course catalog systems for major universities using Leepfrog's CourseLeaf software.
- Automated the import of course data from popular student information systems such-as Oracle PeopleSoft and Banner, making it easier to kick-start projects and onboard clients.
- Built a contemporary instant messaging tool, adapting it to work on the company's older BBS platform, Gestalt.
Premier Guitar - Web Developer, Technology Manager, Photographer
Marion, Iowa; 2011-2012
Premier Guitar is a go-to resource for guitar aficionados, available in both print and online formats.
- Managed web and tech solutions for a top-tier publication in the guitar industry.
- Created a WordPress-based website capable of handling high traffic, successfully migrating all user and content data from a proprietary Joomla setup.
- Contributed photography that has been featured multiple times in both the online and print versions of the magazine.
Metro Studios - Senior Developer, Development Manager, Director IT & Server Administration
Hiawatha, Iowa; 2007-2011
Metro Studios is an agency focused on multimedia web marketing solutions.
- Created tailored web applications and online stores for more than 40 client projects.
- Instrumental in expanding the web department from a small team to a diversified group of 10 professionals, including managers and specialists.
- Led a team of app developers, introducing code review processes, version control, and detailed documentation standards.
- Set up and maintained multiple web servers, hosting a wide array of client websites and applications.
Yellowbook USA - Server Engineer
Cedar Rapids, Iowa; 2006-2007
Yellowbook USA, now known as Hibu, offers directory lookup services both in print and online.
- Developed and managed various redundant server and software solutions at the company's data centers, using both Linux and Microsoft systems.
- Consolidated design-asset preparation systems from a full server rack to a more compact 4U setup using ESX virtualization.
- Collaborated with operations and network engineering teams to enhance monitoring using open-source tools like MRTG.
- Rolled out security updates to a servers across different platforms, utilizing a customized enterprise deployment system.
Coe College Cedar Rapids, Iowa; 2005-2008
- Pursued studies in computer science and art.
- Created a specialized CMS (content management system) and server setup, which powered Coe.edu for over a decade.
Full resume & portfolio available online at johnmparks.com